> I think it was introduced along with Super A/Program back in the
> 80's. I believe I have a photocopy (somewhere) of this lens report
> from either  Modern Photography or Popular Photography. As I
> remember, the test result  was not very good, and A35-105/3.5 was
> prefered.

I'd appreciate it if you could dig out that lens report on the A
28-135/4 and report back to us with the specific comparison that
preferred the A 35-105/3.5.

I also took a look into "the archives" here, and found three
relevant reports:

Two of these are similar to what you have described, where Popular
Photo tested the Super Program with the A 28-135/4 (Jan., 1984) and
the Program Plus with the A 35-105/3.5 (Dec., 1984).  However, the
lens portions of the two reviews do not compare the two lenses with
each other at all, so ~that~ can't be where the "A35-105/3.5 was
prefered".  (Actually, I've always found the Pop Photo lens reviews
of that era to be less useful than those of Modern Photo, but I
digress...)  I don't seem to have any review from Modern Photography
of either lens.

I did find a copy of a review from Amateur Photographer of the Super
A and the A 28-135/4 (Aug. 6, 1983), and I think I'll post the
lens-related portions of that review to this list shortly.

Fred