Nice photo. The Schoenhofen pyramid mausoleum was designed by a fairly well
known architect, Richard E. Schmidt, but I suspect the family insisted on the
angel. Pyramid mausoleums were somewhat the rage in the nineteenth century,
even in Europe. Of course Chicago of the late 19th century wasn’t a place of
high ideals, it was the city of the big shoulders, tough and tenacious. When a
wealthy brewer like Schoenhofen died, his family was going to make sure that he
would never be forgotten. He hasn’t been The site of his brewery is on the
register of historic places I believe. He was a pioneer in the brewing of the
kind of cheap American style beers that would keep the working classes of
Chicago in a kind of perpetual stupor. A notable achievement by any measure.
The mausoleum is interesting for a variety of reasons. Lack of aesthetic appeal
is well down on the list.