Darren Addy wrote:

> Regarding your copying of B&W photos (some of which are curling...
>
> If you think that scanning would be a long job, I assure you that
> copying them with a camera will be just as long, if not longer. For
> those that don't lie flat, you will need to position them under glass.
> That glass will need to be clean and dust free. It will need twin
> illumination from 45 degrees off of each side (to eliminate any chance
> of glare). Unless all of the photos are exactly the same size, you will
> need to move the camera closer or farther away (if not change lens
> focal length). Your camera will need to be perfectly perpendicular to
> the image and directly centered. All of this is a big pain in the
> patootie to do repeatedly.The camera could be placed on an enlarger
> chassis to crank up and down for filling the frame, but the center line
> changes as you change elevation so you still need to mess with that.
> Also, it is hard to chimp the LCD screen without a reticulating LCD (or
> perhaps the use of a mirror) as the camera gets too high for you. You
> could work on the floor, but that's a lot of up and down. Pick your
> poison.
>
> The scanner takes care of much of that for you. Good ones are not
> terribly expensive. I highly recommend the Epson Perfection V600 Photo
> (or one of it's kin). With its optionally lighted lid and negative
> carrier you can even use them to scan film or slides. The newer
> scanners are lightning fast compared to older ones (which you may have
> or be used to).

I can see I'm exchanging one set of problems for another here. The photos
come in both a variety of sizes and curls. The plus side for most of the
equipment needed is I can get it together, but I note well the actually
difficulty and time to set up each shot. Hmm. Might not be happy after a
morning of this.

I'll take a look at the scanner you mention plus the competition around
today. The scanner we have is a good few years old now, and quality is low
and time per scan is high.

Thanks,

Malcolm