I'll add a second nod to scanning on a flatbed. I scanned several old family prints on an Epson 500 and found that it produced excellent results. For faded color images or BW images that were yellowed or tinted due to being poorly fixed, a simple auto levels or auto color command in Photoshop made huge improvements toward restoring the original look.

Mark