Thanks for the comments.  Just one small clarification, it's ocean, not a
river.  The bay is part of Lyttelton Harbour which was naturally formed from an
extinct volcano.  Our city's port is on the opposite side of the harbour from
where I was standing (I'd actually ridden via there).

Oh yes and the boats were just parked up :)  The wind was pretty strong that
day which probably accounts for their alignment.

Cheers,
Dave