An interesting discussion. I had never heard the term "grits" before. Here, mieliepap is the staple diet of the masses and a popular side dish with tomato relish at a braaivleis (barbeque to you Westerners!). Commercial maize meal is finely ground but the rural variety is hand ground & quite coarse by comparison - truly gritty! Oh, & our maize is the white variety although some yellow is imported, especially in drought years like 2015.

Alan C

---