Hi Mark ...

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Mark Cassino wrote:

> Yow - I just ran some tests and the grain reduction on Vuescan is indeed
> clobbering the detail. I was scanning for web display and resampling the
> images down to ~640 x 480 - at which point they look OK - but I couldn't
> print from the scans I did with grain reduction enabled.

What works for color film is not applicable with B&W negative.

It's best explained here: http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Grain.htm

> >IAC, my experience with scanning B&W is just the opposite of yours ...
> >it's been easy and quick, almost 100% automatic, and the results have
> >been excellent.
>
> Can I ask what film you were using?  I do think that the Coolscan 4000 is a
> notch (or two) better than my Minolta, but maybe the film you were using
> made a difference. I've been scanning TMax 400.  Interestingly, I don't see
> the grain problem nearly as much in chromogenic B&W.

Chromogenic B&W is more like color film, that's why you don't see the
problem as you do with B&W negative.

I've scanned mostly Tri-X (old and current versions), Agfa APX 100,
Iford HP5+, and maybe some Delta 100.  I don't use T-MAX film, so I've
no comparison or point of reference.  Usually the scans are at 4000ppi,
GEM, ROC, and ICE are off, and the scans are done without any
manipulation.

HTH, Mark.

--
Shel Belinkoff