On 5/4/2015 10:00 PM, Stan Halpin wrote:
I think it is safe to say that Ken is our resident Alaskan expert,
but I seem to remember that a few others have also traveled there?

I am looking for recommendations to ponder. I am in the midst of a
long-term planning process. My intent at this point is to go to
Alaska for 3± weeks late August 2016. I’ll spend 2 weeks on a cruise
ship seeing the scenery of the inner passage, glaciers, doing a few
shore excursions. But then I also will have 7-10 days total before
and after. Could fly to Brooks and see the bears there. Or elsewhere?
I could flightsee Denali. I could do the typical train/bus tour of
Denali.

Given that my goals are to a) see bears, b) see Denali, c) see other
wildlife, and d) learn a bit about the local culture, what say you?
Recommendations for how/where I spend my time?

Note that I do plan to take as much kit as needed. Tripod for sure,
longer lenses for sure.

stan

If your cruise ports in Anchorage, Whittier or Seward, the Alaska
Railroad's Denali Star train goes from Seward to Anchorage to Fairbanks
and has a depot in Denali NP near the visitor's center.

Looking at the map, the Denali depot is real close to the airport there
as well, so you'd have a lot of flexibility using sea, air and rail.