On 5/12/2015 11:19 AM, Charles Robinson wrote:
In the middle of my week-long trip to China a couple weeks ago, I
pulled my camera out of my pack and noticed that the battery door had
been pulled open.  Annoying, but with the way it goes into and out of
the Lowepro backpack, that happens.

As I went to slide the door back into place, though, I noticed that a
chunk of it was missing.  I found it later in my camera bag.  Somehow
the door had been stressed while open, and a part of it snapped off.

Photo here of my half-assed field repair, if you want to see:

http://charles.robinsontwins.org/photos/2015/IMG_7199.jpg

It's the "right hand" side of the door that's broken - there are no
rubber seals on that part of it, so I think that the camera MIGHT
still be weatherproof.   The gaffer tape that's on it right now is
how I made sure that: 1. The door stayed in one piece for the rest of
the trip 2. The door stayed SHUT for the rest of the trip

Ideally I'd replace the door, but I don't know how involved or
expen$ive a process that will be.  Has anyone had to deal with this
kind of thing before?  How'd it go for you?

The door to my *ist-D just popped off one day while I was walking
through the woods (early spring 2005). I heard a kind of "ting" sound &
looked down and it was gone. Broke clean off at the hinge. I was able to
find the door in the leaf litter around my feet.

Local Pentax dealer had a repair guy. He ordered a replacement door from
Pentax which arrived in a couple of weeks. It only took him about 5
minutes to replace the door once the part came in. I don't remember what
it cost, although it was only a labor charge. Pentax provided the
replacement door under warranty.

In the meantime, I used duct-tape to hold the door in place so the
little switch would allow the camera to turn on.

Other than that: I had a great time in China!  I was looking for
pictures to share in a PESO kind of way and realized that there's
nothing that really stands out - they're all just snapshots from a
whirlwind trip into and out of Southwestern Yunnan province.  If
you're into looking at other people's vacation shots, I'll provide a
link to the gallery for your enjoyment, but I don't think anything
really stands out:

http://charles.robinsontwins.org/photos/2015/china/

-Charles