I used this to pull the data from the instance of Thunderbird on my laptop when I installed it on my desktop.

http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

On 5/22/2015 11:27 AM, Igor PDML-StR wrote:

Ann, here are a few answers:

Ann Sanfedele Fri, 22 May 2015 07:06:10 -0700 wrote:

<..>

NOW - Thunderbird...

Can someone explain to me in easy language how to transfer all of my email and thunderbird settings to the new computer? Is this possible?

I don't know if it is possible to transfer the settings.
I'd rather open both computers side-by-side and enter settings item by item.

Transferring e-mails can be tricky.
If you were using "imap" connection for incoming messages (and I highly recommend THAT option), then all messages should be on the server, and the newly configured Thunderbird should pull them all from the server.
If you had "pop3", than there are two possibilities.
If it was configured with "delete messages on the server upon donwloading" unchecked (i.e. messages are still on the server), then it should download them. But if it was deleting messages on the server, then I don't know an easy way.

The might be some way to say in the old thunderbird to say "Archive messages", and then copy that archive... but I don't remember, and don't want to confuse you. Maybe somebody else would describe that procedure.

BTW, in any case, I'd highly recommend using "IMAP" option in the newly set Thunderbird, not pop3.

And for a really stupid question... I wanted to load Adobe 5.0 and
Ive got the disk but when I open it on the new computer I don't see how
to ,um, make it go...

also, I want to see dos extensions on all my files and I don't remember
where I go to do that.

Under "Control Panel" You need to find "Folder Options" and click on it.
(You likely have a "categories view" when you open Control Panel, I
don't remember under which category that would be. I always switch to the view by "Small icons".)

A window "Folder Options" will open.
Under "view" tab, uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".
I always do this, so that the full file name (with what you call "Dos extension") is displayed. Besides several other advantages, it helps avoiding some tricks from malware.

HTH,

Igor

immortality through not dying.
-- Woody Allen