On 1 June 2015 at 15:12, Darren Addy <pixelsmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This sounds like a concept designed to fire the imagination and raise
> money,

Yep

> but if you think about it, it is probably a little flawed.

Really? It looks pretty well thought out to me. I think most of what
you're wondering about was covered in the video or the faq.

> First of all, how does it maintain a desired vector, relative to the
> subject?

faq: "Lily tracks the tracking device and uses computer vision to
optically follow your features. You should have the tracking device on
you for Lily to follow you."

> I can see how it might maintain the proper distance, but how
> do you choose/maintain the vector and altitude? That would seem to
> require some sort of triangulation (perhaps it uses the subject plus a
> couple of GPS satellites)? Presumably the direction you "toss" it
> determines desired vector. Even if a vector can be established, is
> that relative vector maintained throughout the entire shoot,

Yes, if that's the program you choose on the controller (follow, side, ahead)...

> or are
> there programs that allow you to slowly "orbit" the subject, or
> perhaps gently gain in altitude to give a wider perspective.

...yes (loop or fly up)

> Each of these things is going to require a certain "halo" of space for
> the drone to operate that the subject is going to have to be conscious
> of. Can anybody see a future where dozens of people are trying to
> operate these things on the same ski slope (for example)?

Again from the faq, it doesn't have collision avoidance, so that
aspect is up to the user.

> Speaking of
> which, if this works, it could be great for location and recovery of
> ski avalanche victims.

I don't see how, it can neither see through snow nor fly more than
100ft from the controller.

> Besides the techinical aspects, there is the "automated composition
> argument". If you get good footage is it because "you must have a nice
> camera/drone" or because you are a good videographer/drone pilot?

Nah, it's because you've got good skis/bike ;-)

--
Eric