Hear! Hear!
Lukasz

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On
Behalf Of mike wilson
Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2002 9:40 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Henri Cartier-Bresson

Hi,

Ann Sanfedele wrote:
> I think that is the essence of excellent photojournalism, actually.
> The photo of Bresson's that leaps into my mind first as being all those
> things is the one where a man is  is leaping above a flooded street and
> one foot is every so slightly above the water... that is a gross
oversimplification
> of what is happening, but one millisecond sooner or later and it would
> not be such a stunning picture.

For information:  an article in (UK) Amateur Photographer some
years ago showed that this was a crop, as were some of his other
works.  I don't have any problem with that but it does somewhat
explode the myth about HCB's skill in fitting all the parameters
he (wanted/believed in) into the complete negative.

Note:  I am _not_ belittling HCB's skill as a photographer - I
_am_ somewhat sceptical about the promotional circus that has
evolved around his work.

mike