Two things come to my mind. It's likely being co-developed with the FF
camera. Perhaps something changed last minute in the camera design
necessitating changes to this lens too.

Or it could just be manufacturability issues. Some material in the
design can't be machined reliably to spec, so needs to be replaced
with a new one. I'm thinking of the SDM design which had so many long
term issues. I mean, though we don't know exactly what was wrong with
it, the basic design worked, but it didn't seem to be reliably mass
producible.

--
-bmw