I had a drive fail on my Synology NAS just a couple of weeks ago and
took the opportunity of expanding capacity during the replacement.
Synology uses a "hybrid raid 1" configuration so I don't know whether
it's a generic capability or just for Synology. The NAS had 2 x 2TB
drives and I bought 2 x 3TB WD Red NAS drives. I removed the failed
drive and replaced it with a new one and after a few hours  it
synchronised and I had 2TB of storage available to me. After letting
it settle down for a few days I replaced the 2nd drive and after a few
hours of synchronisation had 3TB of storage space. Couldn't have been
more straightforward.

Chris