On Jul 7, 2015, at 7:13 am, Mark Roberts <postmas...@robertstech.com> wrote:

> She was drinking regularly but simply not absorbing it (she threw up a
> lot of fluids during a post-race massage – I'll spare you the details
> she usually thoughtfully supplies). Since then she's used special
> electrolyte pills for any endurance events. Some people simply need
> more salts in order to absorb water. This varies a lot from person to
> person.

I just remembered an interview with Bevan Docherty (double olympic medallist
triathlete) who had problems when he stepped up to Ironman racing.  He had some
tests done which found that he could only absorb a certain amount of fluid per
hour and any more would cause digestive problems.

Nearly all endurance events here have drink sponsors so you get a choice of
electrolyte or water.  Our local marathon is small enough that they let you
send your own bottles to the aid stations, which is an option I’ll take if I do
it again.

Cheers,
Dave