Thanks, Toine - I had not considered drive speed at all! So - one card may well handle it even at the reduced speed.

Mark

On 7/7/2015 1:45 AM, Toine wrote:
Maybe I'm in error: USB 3 drives are not fast enough to fill the
entire usb3 bandwith.
I have a similar setup, 2008 PC and added the cheapest usb 3 card
(renasas chipset) I could find.
the usb 3 drives are as fast or slow as the internal sata3 drives.