Mark,

I have an old (circa 2007-08) desktop computer that I retrofitted with
a USB card in the PCIe x1 slot.
Yes, there is some speed limit compared to the _theoretical_ maximum bandwidth of USB 3.0, but in reality it doesn't matter as the drives do not have that throughput anyway.
And the advantage over USB-2 is very noticeable.
(And no, in this case, I wouldn't bother with the legacy PCI slots)

I don't remember the reason, but I remember that I decided not
to buy a card with more than 2 USB ports.
(It was likely for one of the following reasons:
1) insufficient power for more than 2 mobile drives, - a powered hub does the job, see blelow)
2) those were unavailable (for PCIe-x1) or impractical.  )

I haven't bothered to put two cards. For your two HDDs, I'd suggest you try with one first, and only if it is insufficient, you go for the second. I don't know for sure how much speed advantage two cards would offer over one, if at all.

Here is the card I bought in November 2012 for 12.03 at B&H. It is now $12.99 there.
 Transcend 2-Port USB 3.0 PCI Express Expansion Card
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/696114-REG/Transcend_TS_PDU3_2_Port_USB_3_0_PCI.html

I haven't used it heavily, but I am happy with the purchase, it is adequate for what it is.

I've also been using a USB-3.0 hub (although mostly with my laptop).
Since you mentioned you are interested in one, here is the info.

USB-3.0 hub with 7 ports and 25 W external power.
The power is important with the [mobile] HDDs that don't have their own power supplies (I have at least 2 of those).
Plugable Model: USB3-HUB7-81x
http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-SuperSpeed-Adapter-Charging-Support/dp/B008ZGKWQI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1436289196&sr=8-2&keywords=plugable

And while we are on the subject, - last December I bought this USB-3.0 SD-card reader (compatible with SDXC, etc., and UHS-1 capable, AFAIK):
Trancend TS-RDF8K
It is available for about $13 on Amazon, and I am very happy with it.
http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Super-Multi-Card-Reader-TS-RDF8K/dp/B0056TYRMW/
It seems to be faster than all my cards (including UHS-1). I wrote about it on PDML earlier, as a feedback response to Rob S., who recommended this card reader when I was looking for one.

I would buy all three devices again.

HTH,

Igor

PS. As for the MoBo-upgrade idea, - beware of some caveats: you'd have to check the compatibility with the existing CPU, memory, and the power supply. (There is a chance that the old power supply may not have sufficient wattage for the newer motherboard, especially if you have plenty of other power-hungry devices (video-card, HDDs) added/upgraded since the computer was assembled at the beginning.)