The way to avoid that is brass, (yea, right try to find brass anything these days), or very high quality black anodized. Actually I don't have either. The step up step down rings I have are almost as old as I am, and made of enameled steel, I've never had them seize but then I use them so seldom that I have no idea where they currently reside. I suppose they might if the enamel wore off to any extent, but I don't use them that often.