Hi Eric,

You will enjoy yourself with or without a camera. I haven't fully resolved your
question yet, but I can certainly tell you what my experiences have been.

On my most recent tours, over the last year to eighteen months, I've taken a
Fuji X20 which I keep in a CCS compact pouch (http://www.ccscentre.co.uk) for
protection, which I put in a waterproof stuff-sac for, er, waterproofing stuff,
along with my other crap like passport and wallet.

This in turn goes in my handlebar bag
(http://banjobrothers.com/products/current/canvas-and-leather-bags/canvas-saddle-bag-small/
  - they call it a saddle bag, but it works very well as a bar bag).

This generally works fine and is quite quick to use when pootling along on my
velocipede I see something photogenic. My quibbles are mostly related to the
camera's usability, but they are general quibbles rather than bike-specific.

I would prefer to take an SLR + 2 or 3 lenses, and I've done that on a few
occasions, but it is more difficult. The last time I did this I strapped a
Domke F5-XB camera bag
(http://www.domkebags.co.uk/shop-online/f-5xb-medium-shoulder-belt-bag/ ) to
the handlebars. This has the makings of a perfect camera/bike bag, but it has
some serious shortcomings. First, it is not robust enough to take the wear from
rubbing against the head-tube - I wore a hole in the bag in 3 weeks, so it
needs some leather or similar patching if it's used like this. Second the way
it's strapped to the bar is rather ad hoc, and it caused the bartape to
unravel; it also made it difficult to use the horizontal part off the
handlebar; finally it was a drag to remove and replace when I left the bike.

I have also used panniers, and just stuffed everything into one of them, but I
don't like panniers generally, so I no longer use them. From the photo point of
view it was such a pain to get the camera out that I rarely took pictures.

Hope that helps.