In a message dated 25/04/02 13:54:15 GMT Daylight Time, Bob writes:

<< Subject: Re: AF Converter project?

 Why?

 Bob
 - ----- Original Message -----
 From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2002 8:57 PM
 Subject: AF Converter project?

 > How feasible does this sound? ( I am not an engineer or even a high-level
 > bodger).
 >
 > Pentax AF 1.7x - remove K mount plate from front - replace with Nikon F
 > mount.
 >
 > Somehow re-engineer the diaphragm control pin to give auto aperture.
 >
 >  Just mulling over this 300mm F2.8 Arsat that's here. Doesn't the 1.7x
 lose
 > 1.5 stops? or is it 1.7 stops?
 >
 > Sounds like a Rob Studdert Special Projects Division thingie to

Why not?

A relatively inexpensive 510mm F4.5-ish AF lens for Pentax. As I recall, the
Arsat retails about GBP699 new. As I have a nice condition used one lying
around...................why not? Even a manual diaphragm version would be
fine by me. The AF will still work ok.
 Frankly I am surprised that Illinois Bill has not seized on this already.

Peter