Bill,

For the reasons similar to yours, I've been looking for a dash camera on and off. I couldn't single out any particular cam (and that probably prevented me from buying one). Also, I concluded that user reviews are important, as some cameras fall short on delivering the quality despite the specs. Here is one of the review sites that I bookmarked (either for the summary table or for the forum as well):
https://dashcamtalk.com/

So, here a brief summary of what I consider important for consideration
(YMMV):
1. A must (most of them do): recording on a flash memory card, with automatic rotation (writing over the oldest ones.
2. Covers wide enough angle of view.
3. Resolution: Should be sufficient to distinguish the license plate
of the other vehicle. (For "hit-and-run" type of situations.)
It looks like 1080p is a reasonable optimum, but definitely not less than 720p?
4. The same for fps.
5. Night vision should provide a reasonable functionality for the same.
6. Removable vs. permanently mounted  and discrete vs. "in your face"
(Is it an attractive target for someone to break into the car).
7. Rear view vs dual cam vs none.
8. Reliability and variation of quality (QC).
(This includes overheating with some cameras resulting in a blurry picture)

Other features that could be useful but not a deal breaker:

9. Motion- or impact-activated (for the parked vehicle being hit or vandalized) -- "G-sensor".
10. Working from its own battery for the parked vehicle.
11. GPS.
12. Built-in screen

The last time I looked (about a year ago), - Amazon.com had poor selection of such cameras, as many of them were made by companies in Asia (China). eBay had a broader selection (both toward the better and worse ends of the spectrum).

E.g. in late 2013 or early 2014, I bookmarked this ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/estore009 because they had reasonable and comprehensive listings for dash cameras, including comparison tables for the features.
It is still in existence and selling those. That's all I can say.

I might be wrong, but it looks like some more western companies are standing behind newer models (and sell them on Amazon).

HTH,

Igor