Don't know anything about cycle frames, but at Grand Canyon National
Park in Arizona, they won't let you take the mule trip if you weigh over
200 lb.

On 8/14/2015 11:31 AM, Malcolm Smith wrote:
Bob W wrote:

If it's anything like tyre pressures then it's probably good for 440lb
[1].

As I understand things, to decide the maximum tyre pressure they
inflate them until they burst. They then declare the maximum pressure
to be half the bursting pressure.

[1] Caveat: I am not a test engineer. Any attempt to exceed the stated
maximum is at your own risk. Don't sue me - I haven't any money.

Some time ago I was asked how to find out what weight a cycle would take by
two of my friends, who were overweight. They were both tall and suspected
they may have to lose weight first. As cycling is low impact exercise on
joints, I thought it made sense for them to cycle as soon as possible,
especially as you see improvement quickly. I lost 30Kg myself in 2010 by
adding cycling for an hour or to my day for six months and cutting out
snacks.

Oddly enough, it was really difficult to find that information, although you
could find just about anything else out! One or two manufacturers do hide
the details in the fine print of the specifications, and this is my rough
guide from Summer 2011.

Most good quality metal frames (Reynolds 501 and above with the exception of
753) will have a top end weight of 125Kg. Many metal framed mountain bikes
are about the same, but don't expect to do anything other than normal easy
cycling at the top limit. I didn't look at carbon, as the frames were not
being included in suitable cycles for the task.

Many cargo bikes take 150Kg (and in fact my friends bought two of these - I
think the Kona Ute?), but all the weights are all in, so for the cargo bike
that's the rider, shopping and anything else you may be carrying.

This is just a FWIW posting, but there are lots of very overweight folk in
society which decide to use cycling to lose weight (a good thing should they
so choose to do lose weight that way), but are often sold unsuitable cycles
for the job. I would have thought there was a market for stronger cycles, or
at least the information about any weight limit should be up front in big
print. A catastrophic frame failure on the go is never going to be a good
thing. However, my 'research' as such is 4 years old and I hope the industry
has moved on.

Malcolm