I think the lens you had provided you with the best effect considering
where you were seated. The best seats for enjoying the game are not
necessarily the best seats for photographing the game action.

To make most effective use of a long lens photographing baseball, you
need to be seated where you can shoot down the line from first to second.

You also got the essential element for a good baseball photo; you caught
the ball in the air - which you likely wouldn't have done with a long lens.