Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
Larger formats bring other things to the table beyond resolution. You'll never
get the imaging characteristics of a banquet camera by stuffing more bazillion
pixels into a 35mm format sensor.

Higher resolution can bring other things than just more pixels. A lot of cameras now already have sensors close to the nyquist rate for the lenses. Once the sensor can always out resolve the lens, there will never be a need for anti aliasing, and you will know that you are always getting everything possible out of the lens.

Igor and I already recently discussed how much of the performance that you lose by higher resolution pixels that you can regain with math. The answer is not simple, but the K-3 versus the K-5 implies that in real world use, you can get a lot of it back. But the higher resolution can give you more information with which to work and apply even more sophisticated image processing. The lytro is already showing one possible use for all of the added information that is possible to get at higher resolution, I suspect that more breakthroughs, albeit with less radical hardware, are to come.

Godfrey