Yes, it's the EPA's fault, they were told, by industry experts, not to fuck with it. That the cofferdam was unstable, and could be easily breached. Yet, the EPA persisted in fucking with it, until it was breached. Thus changing the problem from one of local contamination to one of regional contamination.

Ghostbusters was prescient

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vxEimC3HME

If a private company did this the ensuing reaction would mean the end of the company, (as an aside, the executives and engineers responsible would most likely be fired, as damage control, not to the environment true, but in the forlorn hope of company survival). In this case no one will even lose their job, government is exceeding bad at policing itself. It is good at policing private industry, and I'm in favor of that, under most circumstances.