William Robb wrote:
 > Does anyone ever snipe when there's no bids on an item?? <g>

Absolutely! Someone on the list recently published a URL to a study
confirming that once a first bid has been placed, an item will draw more
bidders. I've found this to be true, and for this reason often lurk until
the final moments.

As a seller, I haven't been very savvy, setting a wide difference between
my starting price and my BIN price. The wide disparity has only encouraged
buyers to avoid the BIN.

Last week I was shopping for an MH-RA67 metal hood, the hood used on the
85/1.4 PKA and the 135/4 Macro in the Pentax 67 (or is it 645)? It sells
for $54 at B&H. There were three on EBay; two had BINs at $40. Bidding on
all three began at $15 or $20. One auction would end on the 26th, the
second on the 27th, the third on the 29th. A history search showed that the
hood tends to linger unsold at $30 and $25. I thought about bidding $40
without BINning, hoping to get it for "40 or less." But one BIN had
disappeared, and bidding on another was up to $26.50. I didn't want to
spend the workday ahead worried whether I'd get one for less than the $40 I
might have had. So the day before it closed, I nabbed it for $40.

There was also a convenience factor: Among the three, it alone let me pay
online for free. (I could pay online via BidPay for one of the others, but
there's a $5 charge.) And shipping was just $4, versus $6 for the other two.

Paul Franklin Stregevsky