I've typed and re-typed several responses to this, Godfrey. I think I'll send
this one, regarding your question about whether this violence will ever stop.

These sorts of horrific events cause a lot of soul - searching and looking for
answers. Unfortunately, in these modern times, these contemplations occur with
dismal frequency.

I'm going to preface what I say by stating that ~apparently~ we live in one of
the least violent times in the history of the world. It sure doesn't feel that
way, but statistics indicate that. Small consolation to the victims in Paris or
Tel Aviv or Baghdad, I know...

Cheap, easily - obtained  weapons. Combatants who have nothing to lose and are
more than prepared to kill themselves for their cause. Very heavily armed,
militarized nation-states. All of this and more almost ensure that these events
will continue to occur. Add to that groups who feel that they've been oppressed
for decades or centuries and the mix is lethal.

And of course what's going on in the Middle East and how The West is handling
it increase the inevitability that the violence will spill over into Europe and
North America. Ironic that Hollande screams that the Friday the 13th attacks
were "an act of war" when in fact France is engaging in warlike behaviour in
Iraq.

Over 17,000 civilians died in Iraq last year. At least 1,700 died as a result
of International Coalition or Iraqi Air Force air strikes. Another 10,000 died
from unidentified combatants.

Is it any wonder ISIS is leaving "calling cards" on home soil of those they see
as combatants in their homeland? I'm neither condoning nor justifying these
heinous atrocities, but they're hardly surprising.

Wars are going on all over the world. Innocent civilians are dying daily (50 of
them in Iraq on Friday, for instance). We, insulated in the comfort of the
affluent West, don't bat an eyelash. We don't even notice. But when the
violence hits "our" shores it's the end of the world.

These things are going to keep happening. The change required to stop them will
never happen (see above re: heavily armed nation-states - that includes the
militarization of police forces). Even if radical change does occur, these
events might continue. Maybe it's just human nature. Combined with cheap
weapons.

But we're living in the least violent time in human history...

Regards,

frank

--

"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept." -- Henri Cartier-Bresson