On 11/17/2015 5:03 PM, Daniel J. Matyola wrote:
On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 4:55 PM, P.J. Alling <webstertwenty...@gmail.com> wrote:
I don't know what weed you're smoking but slavery, prior to England
suppressing it was ubiquitous, in human society
I don't smoke.

Slavery may have been "ubiquitous," but it was Britain that brought it
to North America, for the profit of British companies.  That can not
be denied.

Dan Matyola

The Spanish brought slavery to the Caribbean, and Florida, and maybe the Mississippi 100 years before the British had American colonies, first the they enslaved the natives, and then when they died off from European diseases, they imported Africans.

Before you tell me it was the British who supplied them, I'd like to point out that by mercantile theory, which every country followed, trade with one's colonies was carried out in ships belonging to the mother empire.

As the British would put it trade with British America was carried out in British Bottoms. Every empire followed the same logic.

The slave trading ports on the coast of Africa were run by the Portuguese, Dutch, and Native African Empires.

So Slaves going to French Colonies were carried in French ships, going to Dutch colonies in Dutch, Ships, Spanish in Spanish Ships, Portuguese in Portuguese ships, etc.

So unless you count Spanish America, which at one time included the mouth of the Mississippi, Texas, and Florida, as not being part of North America, I think you're wrong.

More importantly the Native Americans took slaves from other tribes. Sometimes, depending on the tribe, the captives were adopted into the tribe, sometimes not, the accounts of white captives of the Indians, reflected this, some tribes made them Brothers and Sisters after a time of testing, others kept them in servitude.

Unfortunately the mound builders of the Mississippi died out, probably from smallpox, people don't realize today, how awful smallpox is to a population with no resistance, before any European was able to record that society in detail, but they had huge cities, which were ceremonial centers, implying a priestly hierarchy and unless they went entirely contrary to the Aztecs and Incas they too kept slaves.

immortality through not dying.
-- Woody Allen