> On Nov 18, 2015, at 9:45 AM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:
>
> Darren Addy wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 10:07 AM, Alan C<c...@lantic.net>  wrote:
>>> Brilliant images, Godders, esp. the wood-grain as someone else has already
>>> said. I would be very curious to see how the K-01 compares.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I don't think it is possible to put the Macro-Elmarit-R
>> 60mm f/2.8 on the K-01 for an apples to apples comparison.

It is possible but not easy. Leica R lens mount is 49mm diameter on a 47mm
mount register; Pentax K bayonet is 47mm diameter on a ~45mm mount register.
There's too much mechanical interference to build an adapter for that small
gap, but you can get a Leitax replacement lens mount flange for Leica R lenses
that will fit them onto Pentax K mount bodies. Not that I'm ever going to do
that…

> Besides, in the price category it would be more fair to compare it to the
> 645Z.  …

"If you measure everything by price, the world loses a lot of value."

But about comparing the Leica SL to the Pentax 645Z… As pieces of equipment,
they're not directly comparable because they are two different formats, two
different target use domains, etc. The 645Z is a bigger, heavier, slower
operating camera; it's more directly comparable to the Leica S series
medium-format digital cameras. I haven't worked with either so I won't
speculate on how they differ in function, in use, and in their performance.

I can compare the Leica SL system against a Pentax 645Z system on price:
Summary, buying a 645Z would have cost me more. The 645Z body is about $7000,
$500 less than the Leica SL body, but I no longer have any Pentax 645 lenses. A
full complement of Pentax 645 lenses, comparable to the lens range that I can
use on the SL, would have cost well over $10,000. Never mind other necessary
accessories.

The Leica SL body is $7450. I already had a dozen top-notch Leica R lenses
(from 19mm to 250mm, plus a doubler) and another half-dozen Leica M lenses to
use with it. I already had the Leica mount adapters. All of my Leica R and
Leica M lenses will work beautifully on the SL; I've tested them already and
know this to be true. I got all the R lenses very inexpensively because the R
series was discontinued by Leica about six years ago, I paid an average of $450
per lens ($5400). Consider that in 1998, when I considered buying into a Leica
R8 system new, just four of these lenses would have cost me about $14,000. BTW:
The resale value of the lenses I have has doubled since I bought them since the
announcement of the Leica SL… Yes, I'm smiling.

(Of course, Leica SL series dedicated lenses will work on this body beautifully
too, providing AF, OIS, etc. My purchase included the Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-90mm
f/2.8-4 ASPH OIS, which cost $4750. Testing against the M and R primes in this
same FL range proves it to be a *stunning* performer, competing head for head
on performance. But it's a big heavy lens that I'll likely use only when its
capabilities are called for. As you should know well by now, I prefer smaller,
lighter prime lenses for most of my shooting; AF is nice convenience that is
otherwise of little real consequence to me.)

So … In the end, this equipment, or toy as you like to call it, was the right
choice for what I have in mind for my photography. I don't care what it cost
and what it's compared to; I've been planning and saving to buy it for a long
long time. It meets my fifteen year old brief for what I wanted in a digital
camera to the letter, and goes beyond it. So far, the performance I'm seeing
from it is nothing short of phenomenal. That's what is important to me.

Onwards! Enough words … I think I'm going to pack the SL with Elmarit-R 19mm
and Elmar-M 24mm into my bag and take another walk around the block.. Maybe
I'll even bring a tripod. :-)