----- Original Message -----
From: Bruce Dayton
Subject: Re[2]: The old digital/film debate

> I'm starting to feel like the days of charging by the print
are
> changing.  It used to be that the labor cost was buried inside
of the
> cost of the resulting prints.  Because of the ease of
duplication
> (scanning) and the acceptance of crap by the customer, once
they get
> their prints, you will rarely see any more orders.  So it
might be
> better to charge an hourly rate or at least charge for your
time
> separate from the print prices.
>
> What do you guys think?

I think the government of Canada is on the right track. The link
pertains to the music industry, but could as easily apply to
another lobby group, such as the PPAC.
http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/tariffs/proposed/c09032002-b.pdf
FWIW, for those in Canada, this tariff is set to go into effect
fairly soon. Objectors must submit their case by May 8, 2002,
and abide by the provisions set out on the first 6 or so pages
of the document.
Objection is futile, however.
William Robb