Bill,

   You're my new best friend!!  Wahoooooo!  That did the trick.  I
couldn't figure out how to advance the frames, and had some idea that
that might be why it wasn't working properly.

   Shutter speeds SOUND as if they are working correctly, so my next
step is obtaining a lens and some film.  If I like this, I'll probably
opt for a prisim and maybe a handheld meter.  (Guess that means I'll
need to actually read a book on metering too!)

   Anyhow, I'm off to do some more work, there may be time to work on
this over the weekend.

Illinois Bill