Hi Brendan ...

All the more reason to have taken the picture, and, since you were
unsure about how to compensate, a perfect time to bracket.  It would
have been a good learning experience as well as a flare test for the
lens <g>.

Which body were you using and what was the metering mode, if your camera
has modes?  Generally speaking, any sort of averaging meter is going to
be unduly influenced by glare or a very bright light in the metering
area.  I'd guess that this was a job for spot metering or more
experience.

With a spot meter you could have measured the point of glare, and then
taken a reading of the main subject absent the glare point, and gotten a
good idea as to what the proper exposure would have been.  Also, a
polarizing filter might have helped.

HTH, amigo ...

--
Shel Belinkoff