Darren Addy wrote:

> Nikon has lots of adherents and spends lots of advertising dollars, so
> it is not surprising that whatever Nikon rolls out gets lots of
> attention. Also, blogs and photosites are beasts that need to be fed,
> so ANY photographic new is grist for the mill, particularly when it is
> from one of the Big Dogs.
>
> However, these announcements hold very little interest for me. I don't
> own Nikon mount glass (other than a couple of older screw-AF Nikkors
> that I plan to sell, a 50mm f1.8 and a 70-210mm f/4-5.6. Oh, and an old
> AI 135mm manual focus). The only people who really might have more than
> a passing interest are those who can afford to sell everything in one
> mount and reinvest in another (and that certainly isn't me).
>
> I remain quite pleased with the current Pentax offerings (frankly,
> anything since the K-5 remains a superb choice for virtually ANY photo
> enthusiast). Cameras are like automobiles in some respects. If one
> wants to focus on what one doesn't have or can't afford (like a
> Lamborghini or Bugatti (then one can go through their whole life
> unhappy and envious).
>
> I'm at the point where I would really only LIKE another one or two
> lenses (the DA* 200mm f/2.8 and a fast Rokinon ultrawide -either 14mm
> or 16mm) and I really couldn't ask for much more. I'm ready to turn my
> attention to trips and taking photos more than acquiring gear.
>
> So "bully for Nikon". There will always be a "later & greater" but I
> have more than I can reasonably use now. In any event, even these
> latest Nikons don't have things I  currently enjoy with the K-3 II,
> like in-body image stabilization (with even vintage lenses on front),
> and things like no AA filter/microblur AA, and built-in AstroTrack.

I've had a fair bit of e-mail in about the new D500 & D5, including my
pre-order sales communication from the shop I usually deal with.

I'm aware that that there has been a lot of calling for a replacement for
the D300s, and had I a large number of DX Nikon lenses, I expect I'd have
been one of those shouting.

If I'd been looking for a new DX DSLR without a collection of lenses to any
brand, for what I take pictures of, I'd have still gone with the K3/K3 II. I
like the larger sensor size, and as I don't generally take photos of moving
wildlife, motor racing etc, my camera is normally set with 1 AF point. This
seeming race for a zillion AF points and shooting vast rates per second
isn't what I need. Others might.

The only thing I don't like about the D5 is the price. I'm still not sure
I'd prefer a mint D3X though if I was in the market for this sort of camera,
and I still wish I'd bought a D700 when it was launched. With FX format, I'd
always need to buy a new set of glass, and the wait for Pentax/Ricoh to do
the deed and launch an FX body has none of the relevance it did for me
waiting for the *ist D with loads of glass at the time to use them
immediately.

The most important thing that I need to upgrade is my computer. Large
picture file sizes need processing with a much more powerful computer. This
for me this year, is a higher priority to whatever is launched by camera
manufacturers. No use having 40-50 MP pictures if you can't process them!

Malcolm