I'd agree that the error is no big deal, if tolerance really meant "plus or
minus." It doesn't. When was the last time you read a test report that
found that a lens gave you more of what you thought you paid for? A 20 mm
that measured at 19.4 mm? A 200 mm that gave you 205 mm?  An f/2 that was
f/1.9? When all the error falls on the "cheaper to make" side, that's
called cheating.

When Amateur Photographer reviewed a 300mm lens several years ago, it found
the focal length to be 280mm. But the editors added that just about all
"300"s were really 280s, and that Leitz was the only maker to label theirs
honestly (Leica 280 mm).

Bob Harris wrote:
I believe I read in one of the reviews that the "industry standard" was to
be within 5% of the rated focal length. So a claimed 20mm lens could be
anywhere between 19 and 21. No big deal.

Paul Franklin Stregevsky