On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 1:32 PM, Bruce Walker <bruce.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Very cool, Darren. My wife tolerates a lot from me, even new lenses,
> but she would draw the line if I ever mentioned roasting my own beans.
> :)

It isn't hard and only requires a minimum of equipment.
Some people like to simply use a heat gun pointed into a metal dog
food bowl (stirred with a wooden spoon for agitation). Others replace
the dog food bowl in that equation with an old bread machine (on
"dough" setting), using the agitator paddle in the bottom to provide
agitation. I may upgrade to that, but currently do small 1/2 cup
batches in an Air Popcorn Popper. You have to use the right kind of
popper, the kind with air openings in the bottom/sides that provide a
cyclone air action for agitation.

You will probably want to do it in a garage (or at least basement). I
love the smell of roasting coffee, but it can be strong. If one rigged
up a small squirrel cage fan and some flexible ductwork (like for a
clothes dryer) one could probably route the majority of the smell out
basement window.

You really won't believe the difference in drinking truly FRESH
ROASTED, and you are also at liberty to try roasting a bean to
different levels of darkness, which provides different flavor
profiles.

I'm with you on the Aeropress, Steve. Love it and great for travel. My
morning "pint" is currently brewed immersion style using the large
Clever Dripper:
https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/abid/clever
All the benefits of French Press with none of the fines/sediment.

--
Life is too short to put up with bad bokeh.