I have used stand processing quite frequently. It's a good process but it's not 100% bulletproof.

My process was to put a single roll of 35mm film into a double roll tank, add developer solution for 2 rolls to the tank, (usually Rodinal at 1:100 but sometimes HC110), agitate for 1 minute, let stand for 60 minutes. Most films exposed at their rated speed will come out well with a 1 hour stand in 1:100 rodinal. Rodinal seems to result in less grain when stand processed vs conventional agitation. I used the double tank because you have to pay attention to the minimum amount of developer needed per roll.

But - it does not work well for everything. I have some crappy "Pro Max 100" film (which I am 99% sure is Lucky SHD) and figured stand processing would be a good alternative for it. Nope, not at all. It gets weird stains and streaks and looks terrible. HC110 Dil B works well with it though. My experiments with Arista Edu Ultra 200 stand processed in Rodinal also did not go well, though it can be very nice processed regular agitation in Rodinal.

I've also had problems with streaks in 120 film when stand processing. I theorize that thermal currents in the tank will cause streaking, and the greater surface area on 120 film makes it more susceptible, though I have seen some streaking on 35mmm rolls as well. I have taken to wrapping the tanks in a towel or two as insulation around the tank. Otherwise a cooling or warming tank will generate thermal currents and result in streaking. Worse streaking if the tank is not 100% level.

I've stand processed many types of film but only use it as a standard technique with Ultrafine xtreme 400 (which really shines when stand processed in Rodinal) and Rollei IR 400 (which is very contrasty and benefits from the flatness of stand processing in HC110). I've even managed to push Rollei IR400 a couple stops using a stand technique, without it getting excessively contrasty. When pushing you do need to increase the stand time.

As noted I've had a situations where it has not worked, so testing with any film would be advisable. Personally, after experimenting with it I went back to conventional development -ts faster and I like a more contrasty negative even for scanning. Though if I had an unknown expired roll of film stand processing would be my first choice.

BTW - Ansel talked using HC 110 DIl G for semi stand development, but as I recall he still agitated a bit.

Mark