I find myself agreeing with most things that Mark C says, and this
post is no exception. I also believe that there is something more to
wet prints than scanned (more about that in a moment) but that does
not mean that one way is Good and the other way is Bad. There are so
many avenues to interesting prints and once you start investigating
them you really see how photography (the image capture) is just the
beginning of the creation of art - creating an image that draws some
sort of emotional response from the viewer.

My reasons for wanting to do wet darkroom are part aesthetic and part
nostalgia. If it wasn't a part of my "youth" and young adulthood, I
may not be as drawn to it as I am today. On the other hand, I've only
very recently become aware of Lith Printing and it interests me a LOT.
There are a lot of practitioners out there, but the two gurus are Tim
Rudman and Wolfgang Moersch. Rudman's 1999 work "Master Photographer's
Lith Printing Course: A Definitive Guide to Creative Lith Printing" is
considered the authoritative work on the process. My copy should be
arriving any day. His "World of Lith Printing" (like the first title)
is an update and also discusses the "digital" way of (what I can only
describe as "simulating" the Lith Printing look). Both titles are out
of print and so over-priced. I decided to get his World book via
Inter-Library Loan and have put in a request.

Just type "lith print" into http://images.google.com and I think you
will see why I find the process appealing. There is no One Look.
Unusual and interesting colors can be achieved from B&W photographic
papers. It can be difficult to print the same negative twice and
achieve the same result, because you over expose the paper (2 or 3x)
and snatch it out of the developer and plunge it into the stop bath
when it reaches the level you desire. Ansel Adams is probably rolling
over in his grave, but I can't avoid being drawn to what I've seen in
the look and "feel" of lith prints.

It is funny, but philosophically I'm questioning my own attitudes and
example, why do I turn up my nose at obviously overcooked HDR color
digital images, only preferring HDR to achieve "photo-realistic"
results, but then am drawn to so many of these B&W Alternative
Processes that are often the antithesis of Zone System perfection? I'm
not sure, but there is something about monochrome (or Way Beyond
Monochrome) images appeals to me and that makes such manipulations
more palatable (even more desirable) to me. I also have to admit at
least some bias for the "analog" over the digital.

From an aesthetic point of view, I think I can make an analogy for
what Mark C is saying: You can get computer-driven knitting machines
today that can turn out garments that are perfect in every way, but if
Aunt Helen has one and gives you a stocking cap made by it, does it
really mean as much to you as it would if you knew she sat there with
knitting needles putting in each course and wale over the course of
many days or weeks? It is partly the labor involved that makes
something valuable, and I can't help but feel this is true in the
production of the photographic image, as well.

--
“The Earth is Art, The Photographer is only a Witness ”
― Yann Arthus-Bertrand, Earth from Above