I ended up getting both the Pentax grip and a third party ... the battery trays interchange nicely, and my idea was to use the third party "grip" as a charging adapter for a set of 6 NiMH batteries
in the AA tray.

I was, however, unhappy with the tray NiMH/internal Lithium mixture, the K-5 seemed to to often switch to internal too quickly, perhaps too much voltage drop in the connections. I did not get the expected battery life.

So now I exclusively use the Lithium tray. It is nice having the internal battery as a backup ... no fumbling with batteries in the field until you have a chance.
I do carry the AA tray loaded with AA lithiums as a backup in my backpack.

Regarding the third party grips ... as I recall there were what looked like two different types, the type I got was almost identical to the Pentax, except for the o-ring seals. See the post by LeDave at http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/82642-pentax-k7-3rd-party-battery-grip.html