Hi Folks, the DA 17-70 is a terrific lens. So is the Sigma with
internet reviews as a tad better than the Pentax and faster too.

OK I am a travel & street photographer and find the Tamron 17-50 f2.8
lens as the sharpest value for money . Also this lens is the smallest
and the lightest. I also own the full frame big brother a Tamron 28-75
f2.8 with an eye on the Ricoh-Pentax Full Frame body.

With the quality of computer designed zooms touching the zenith, I
prefer zooms for the greater flexibility they afford. So here is my
travel gear:- Pentax K-5 IIs, Sigma 10-20 EX DC f4-5.6, Tamron 17-50
f2.8, Pentax HD 55-300 WR f4-5.8.
Note: a) all these lenses are pretty compact and all my bases from 10
to 300 mm are covered.
         b) in some situations I will carry the Pentax 18-135 WR
f3.5-5.6 to replace the Tamron 17-50 and the Pentax 55-300.
         c) the 10-20 is very useful in the narrow streets, massive
architectural marvels, tall spires of Italy and Europe in general.
This lens
             came in very handy in Cuba too.
        d) for low light conditions I use the FA 50 f1.4, even though
the 50 mm is my most disliked lens on an APSC body.
        e) last October I picked up a Pentax KA 35-105 f3.5 zoom from
a mom & pop store in the Bay area California. Oh my gad, what a
            performer - a true stack of primes. Astonishing for an old
zoom - solid all metal feel. And it also has that unique barrel shift
for
            macro at all focal lengths.

Regards.
Bipin.