On 2/2/2016 12:40 PM, Mark Roberts wrote:
"Collin B" <coll...@brendemuehl.net> wrote:

We all spend what we may spend on camera gear and that can be different for
each. I was hoping to say
that buying used saves us money, but does that equal helping Pentax? What
if most of used Pentax gear is
sold to fund switch to other brands? Then used purchases do not help Pentax
and money is funneled to
Pentax competition instead.

Kim
It does help, though indirectly.  By raising the value (both price and
desirability) of use equipment the prices (and income generated from) new
equipment help the company.
Scarcity raises prices.  It's that old supply-demand question.  And it
works.
In other words: Demand for used gear drives up the prices of used
gear. Which in turn makes the purchase of new gear a relatively
smaller step up, economically.

If a particular new lens costs $1000 and the used equivalent costs
$500 then buying used is an very attractive choice. But if the used
price climbs closer toward $1000 the option of buying the new product
looks more attractive.

KEH often sells a used lens or camera for prices often higher than the same item at a large not always discount retailer. For example just a month ago the Pentax DA 17-70 was selling used at KEH for $289.00, about $10.00 less than B&H had it new, while Adorama was selling it for 259.00 and throwing in a two year extended warranty.

If I hadn't been tapped out from Christmas buying, I'd have jumped at the Adorama offer.

immortality through not dying.
-- Woody Allen