Note, as I have mentioned before, that when you have your camera on a tripod
you presumably are trying to minimize camera movement and therefore you will be
using a remote release. At least this is what seems to be behind the Pentax
design logic which automatically turns SR off when you are using a remote. I
don’t have my K-3 handy to verify but I believe it doesn’t matter whether you
actually use your remote, it is just about setting the Mode to Remote firing
activated. Of course in that mode you don’t need to use a remote and the
shutter button works just fine.

In short, that mode setting is a very quick and easy way to turn off the SR in
circumstances like Darren describes.

stan