P.J. Alling wrote:
Requires special installation tools, most individuals probably don't
own. I suppose you could always rent them...

On 2/3/2016 9:12 PM, Philip Northeast wrote:
What's wrong with an optical fibre backbone?

Apart from the tools, and training, which I lack, there were good engineering reasons for not spending the money on optical fiber right now.

The CAT6 will already outperform the bandwidth of the feed from the FTTN by an order of magnitude or so. All of the servers are already on the same rack, but they don't have fiber inputs anyways. The Cisco SG200-18 18-port gigabit switch for the rack should be arriving sometime between now and Monday. The data rate to and from the atomic clock and ultraprecise GPS units, really isn't even high enough to even fully utilize the existing CAT5 anyways.

We will, however, be leaving pull strings in place so that when fiber to the home is available it will be a simple matter to pull it to the rack.