Ken, I am also an engineer. At least officially. Although if you were to argue that "software engineering" has almost nothing with "true engineering", you wouldn't encounter any opposition from me.

I can give you an absolutely immediate example. The system that I am working on right now has certain infrastructure layer. The engineer responsible for that layer has decided that it has to be optimized for performance. And optimized it was. Now, later after the most bulk of the code was written, it became apparent that this code was better optimized for flexibility, extensibility and maintainability. None of these concerned the said engineer. The performance optimization was very low hanging fruit and it was a great opportunity to do fun stuff... However, we now have fundamental (as in building foundation that is called "fundament" in Russian) problem in our system.

It is hard to reason about network cables for me, but I was particularly alarmed by your saying "I HAVE to look for ANY opportunity to optimize"... I think of optimization as of extremely sharp razor. And the person who wields that razor has to be extremely careful when they actually put the razor to use.

Nothing personal or nothing disrespectful intended here. As well, we can take it off the list, as this is very much off topic.

Boris