I guess it depends on whether the lens in question is a co-design
between Pentax & Tamron or just a rebadged Tamron lens.

If memory serves there was a 12-24 zoom that Pentax co-designed with
Tokina several years back (pre-Hoya) that was available in Nikon/Canon
mount from Tokina, but not in Pentax mount. You had to buy the Pentax
brand lens to get a Kaf mount.

I don't think that was considered illegal.