Wow, Darren, I am impressed: You gave a credit to my almost-1-year-old message!

I suspect it is a combination of the facts that it is a FF lens and that it is a fast lens in the focal range < 16 mm, that drive the price up. Both factors make it more complex from the engineering point of view (although I'd argue that the latter one probably creates more challenges). But the former one also allows charging more: people who are ready to pay for a FF, would be ready to pay for more expensive lenses.
(Cf. 645 lenses)

It would be interesting to see what will be the price of the Pentax version of this lens. Tamron's prices have held at the initial point ($1.2k) over the past ~11-12 months since the original release.

And in response to Bipin's and John's comments, - besides the lens(es) co-designed with Tokina, Pentax had also sold Tamron's DA 18-250/3.5-6.3 AL ED [IF] as Pentax: http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/zooms/short/DA18-250f3.5-6.3.html .
And I believe 18-270 had a similar story/origin.

Igor