On 2016-02-12 7:48 , David J Brooks wrote:
On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 9:10 AM, David Parsons <parsons.da...@gmail.com> wrote:
Why would you discard your files because the drive is full?

Cause i cant save my snap shots

my strategy is to move older files to an external drive; i do this by year — when i need space on my main computer, a year of shots is moved (via Aperture, but i'm sure Lightroom can do it) to my server (could just be an external drive)

the catalog still knows where to find the originals, but i do have to adjust my backup scheme (since the server is the primary backup for my main drive, the images that are moved to the server have another external drive on the server as a primary backup — point is to always have two, and preferably three versions of the image file, and to keep them organized

doing it systematically is a careful exercise, mainly because i only do it about once per year so i don't have the steps perfectly memorized, but it's very satisfying when the process is complete — a lot of space is freed up *and* all my shots are still accurately cataloged and backed up