1. The battery grip no longer has a slot to store it in.
2. It lacks range when shooting in even moderately bright light.

I've been using one of those cheap Chinese multifunction intervalometers.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MRMQM0G/ref=s9_zwish_hd_bw_b3OSoXL_g421_i6?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-5&pf_rd_r=1MBTPHS8T6VZJW4W2YV2&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=2223214922&pf_rd_i=3109898011

http://tinyurl.com/Interval-remote

Available in several different "brand" names & also available locally if
you have access to a real camera store.