John wrote:

> He showed a number of short videos of National Park, National Forest &
> BLM lands that were taken using drones.
>
> To the best of my knowledge, using a drone in National Parks requires
> written permission from the park superintendent. His presentation
> didn't include any information on how, if or when he acquired
> permission.
>
> He did acknowledge the general FAA regulation that drones cannot be
> operated beyond line of sight of the operator, but I couldn't determine
> if that acknowledgement included a "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" or not.
>
> My reservations regarding drones is entirely concerning irresponsible
> operators. There have already been instances where careless operators
> have injured bystanders on the ground. Luckily, no fatalities.
>

> But, I think it's only a matter of time before some idiot flies one
> into the path of a commercial aircraft & causes a crash.

As Jostein pointed out, despite regulations and common sense (which isn't
that common it appears) idiots hell bent on owning one will obtain one.

Photographers using new technology sensibly is all it requires, but
legislation is a catch all. I would imagine that your speaker's images have
enhanced the reputation of said National Park.

In the example I described, the idiot using a drone, chose to do so on a
narrow strip of land designated as a footpath on a windy day, between a
field of horses one side, and a reservoir with pylons alongside the other.
How he only lost it in the reservoir was a mystery.

Aside: The last meeting I attended was a competition. Within a few images it
was clear the judge had an eyesight issue, as he dismissed an excellent
capture of an otter eating as a model otter staged near a stream, and a
shapely girl in the background of another as a man! From there on in, the
evening wasn't about the images, but what he saw them as. Hardly the quality
of evening you're used to.

Malcolm