I have been having reliability issues with my internet  connection. Basic setup
is a Charternet-supplied Motorola modem connected to our cable from the
outside. Within the house I use wifi rather than cable, using an Apple “Airport
Extreme” as a basestation, supplemented with two small Airport Express as
signal boosters (and one of them is connected to a printer and also to my
stereo amp Aux input jack, giving me a means to “Airplay” my iTunes collection
without needing to listen to my computer’s speakers). So, modem -> basestation
-> boosters -> computer in the back room.

For at least a year now I have been having issues with a dropped connection to
the internet. For most of that time I have been blaming it on either the cable
system or on the cable modem. Powering off and restarting the modem (and
basestation) seemed to work most of the time. But then lately it was getting
much worse, to the point that I was losing the connection within a few hours of
a reset. I knew it wasn’t an issue with one or both of the boosters because the
lack of connectivity showed up even when using a tablet or laptop in the living
room within a few feet of the basestation. Sunday I suddenly realized that the
basestation itself was possibly at fault!

Yesterday I received from B&H a new Airport Extreme basestation (6th Gen) to
replace my old Airport Extreme basestation (2nd Gen). Life is good. I am once
again living in the fast lane…

I am still a bit baffled as my naive expectation is that electronic gear will
either go bad within weeks of purchase or it will last forever. But apart from
a major speed boost coming with the move from 2nd to 6th Generation, the
changeover seems to have also taken care of the reliability issue. So I guess
even electronics wear out.

stan