I'd like to follow-up and ask Mark C what he prefers: Film developing
only (for scanning the negatives) or prints?
I've not yet done it, but I understand the C-41 film processing is not
difficult (if you don't care about prints). The killer (economically)
used to be the liquid chemistry (which means you are paying a lot for
shipping water). NOW, powder kits are available, such as this 2-liter
kit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultrafine-Unicolor-C-41-Powder-Home-Color-Film-Developer-Kit-2-Liter-35mm-120-/311507144471
or
http://www.amazon.com/Ultrafine-Unicolor-Powder-Developer-Liter/dp/B00OU6NDSG/

There are more Amazon reviews (and Q&A) on the 1 liter kit, but people
seem real happy with it (and as an earlier comment mentioned, there is
temperature latitude with the C-41 process). It might pay for itself
just in the postage you will save. I'd be happy to send you a
stainless tank & reel for 35mm, if you are interested in doing it.

--
“The Earth is Art, The Photographer is only a Witness ”
― Yann Arthus-Bertrand, Earth from Above